Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cold Hikes and Mid-winter Blahs

I'm not much of a fan of January. Nope, not at all. The Days are still short and around these parts we don't get a whole lot of sunshine. So this past Sunday we had plenty of sun. with the temperatures hovering between 10- 13° F it was a good day for a short hike in the woods. I decided to hit up a piece of SGL- 176 behind Toftrees. Of course it didn't hurt there was a cache there that I hadn't yet found!



This section of the gamelands is part of the PSU waste-water spray irrigation system. With it being this cold the active spray fields will be busy making some impressive natural ice sculptures. They did not disappoint!



While I was enjoying the solitude on this crisp winter afternoon I came across a family also on a nice hike. I was glad to see I wasn't the only nut out there.



When I got to the cache site I saw lots of footprints in the snow, leading me like breadcrumbs to the cache container. Funny how easily I found it this time. Now I was wondering if the family I passed on the way in were crazy geo-cachers! It seems we had quite a few in town. The day before was the second annual Central PA Mid-winter Blahs event cache.



We crammed 123 people who had nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon into the back 2 rooms at Prospectors. Last year we had 60 folks show up.



This year's event more than doubled last year and everyone had a great time. We also helped boost business on a slow Saturday for a local business.



George + Moe2 deserve a big round of thanks for their door prize donations. The staff at Prospectors did a great job with the huge crowd. And the cashers themselves deserve a big hand for being such great sports for turning out in droves and having a great time. I can't wait for next year!

No comments: