Thursday, January 05, 2006

Double Whammy

Today (yesterday now) dawned as yet another dull and grey central Pennsylvania winter day. I've lost track of when we last saw the sun. More rain is on the way (it is supposed to *snow* this time of year) and it is a chilly damp. I hate days like this. It felt about 5x worse since I hardly got any sleep staying up half the night to watch the Orange Bowl.

The one bright spot of the day was supposed to be tonight's (ok, technically last night's) session in the hot shop. I had arranged with my Wednesday glass partner Jim (who is an excellent flame work artist by the way) to meet at 7 PM. I was running late and Jim buzzed me on the cell that the shop was locked up and dark. Someone must have noticed the door propped open for us from the session that ended at 6 PM. No smell of burning paper and bees wax tonight.

I then come home to find an e-mail from my other friend that a piece we worked on New Years Eve, a nice candy dish in dark and moss green frit from Uroboros had split in two in the annealer. Damn. I was so happy about how well the bottom came out on that piece, at least until we took a chunk out of it during breakoff. I guess we got it too cool after the last spinout . Either that or someone left the annealer open too long.

Having been burned out from lack of sleep the night before I guess it was good to skip a session. Maybe we can steal a slot Thursday evening.

No comments: